What to Bring?
What should I bring?
Based on the advice of the students who have come before you, below is a list of what you will likely need or want in your room. Keep in mind that over the next two years you will be moving at the beginning, middle, and end of every school year. Therefore, we recommend you start by bringing only the necessities. Be sure to pack everything in boxes that you can lift and carry, as you may need to carry your belongings on and off shuttles by yourself, or across campus to your residence.
While we include a list of necessities below, you do not need to have every item in hand on the day you move in. For your first night, be sure that you have bed linens, a blanket, an alarm clock, a towel, essential toiletries, and a jacket. Almost everything on the list below can be purchased locally or online. There are a number of stores (including Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Wal-Mart, and Target) located within a few miles of campus, as well as several specialty shops in downtown Prescott.
What is Provided
Your room will include the following, so you will not need to pack, ship, or purchase these items:
- Two twin beds (one for each roommate)
- Overhead light
- Wall-to-wall carpeting
- Small closet or freestanding wardrobe (shared or individual)
- Desk and chair (for each roommate)
- Window covering
- Heating system
- Government issued ID and necessary cards (e.g., auto insurance card, bank/ATM card, driver’s license, health insurance and prescription cards). Make sure you have your driver’s license or passport ready to show at move-in.
- Air mattresses and sleeping bags for colporteur blitzes; regular twin-sized bedding for class time
- Clothing (see dress guidelines; remember a warm coat, as the temperature drops at night)
- Toiletries (including a shower caddy with which to transport them to the bathroom)
- Medications and/or prescriptions
- Shower sandals (plastic flip-flops)
- Laundry supplies (can easily be obtained locally)
- Desk lamp
- Flashlight and batteries (choose an LED flashlight for longer life)
The “You Decide” List (strongly suggested items)
- Laptop computer (some students solely use the computer lab, but it makes taking notes in class much more efficient).
- Complete Published Writings of Ellen White on CD-ROM (can be ordered at www.adventistbookcenter.com)
- Iron/ironing board
- Wastebasket & liners
- Cleaning supplies
All books listed below will be available for purchase on-campus, unless already owned by student:
- Bible (KJV or NKJV) with cross-references
- Adventist Home (E.G. White)
- Education (E.G. White)
- Publishing Ministry (E.G. White)
Items to leave at home
See next segment for additional information
- Fireworks (or any similar materials)
- TVs/movies/video games/etc.
- Inappropriate posters/decorations
In no case may firearms, recreational drugs, tobacco, alcoholic beverages, pornography, gang symbols, or occult items be permitted in the housing, car, or possession of SOULS students. Discovery of such items is grounds for immediate dismissal without a refund.
Media items not permitted: video game systems (including violent/inappropriate games on cellular devices), non-Christian movies, anything not classified as easy-listening Christian music (where the rhythm is heavily accentuated over the melody and harmony).